Hindsight

After the 2016 election I posted this picture:

And wrote:

“Well, it’s been two weeks. Things still seem very unsettled and chaotic. It’s not an obvious disaster, yet, but many of the signs aren’t encouraging. If it does turn out pear-shaped, we might look back at this early indicator.

There are three human beings in the frame of that shot. All three share at least two characteristics. I’ll give you a hint: All are male, and all are white. #justsaying

Not even his FLOTUS-elect was allowed in shot. Interesting priorities.”

Now with the benefit of several years of this blatantly racist monster, it seems I was right to question the message that photo sends.

We’re already descending into the madness of another election cycle, and you can bet it’s going to get seriously ugly. We’re about to find out just what this country is anymore.

Have we completely lost our souls? Have we completely given ourselves over to expedience and tribalism? Is this the end of what the United States of American has been, and has stood for, for over 200 years?

Stay tuned, my friends!

About Wyrd Smythe

The canonical fool on the hill watching the sunset and the rotation of the planet and thinking what he imagines are large thoughts. View all posts by Wyrd Smythe

4 responses to “Hindsight

  • SelfAwarePatterns

    I’m going to do my best to watch as little of it as possible. I know I’m going to vote for the Democratic nominee against the current nightmare. The rest is noise.

    I suspect Trump’s chances of reelection come down to whether people on the left feel the need to lodge protest votes again. If so, we’ll have him for another four years.

    • Wyrd Smythe

      I definitely feel the pointlessness of it all, but I also find it helpful to vent. The situation is too awful for me to stay silent.

      It’s an “all hands on deck” sort of thing… I thought that the first time around, but some of those on the left had their heads pretty far up a dark place. (I will never forgive Susan Sarandon, for instance.) I do hope they’ve come to their senses after four years of the monster.

      • SelfAwarePatterns

        I get that. Trump is definitely a nightmare. I guess I’m trying not to get too emotionally invested because, living in Louisiana with lots of working class relatives, I have a horrible feeling that we on the left may be headed for another shock. I hope I’m wrong.

      • Wyrd Smythe

        Me, too, but I fear you may not be. Not only has he kept 30-40 percent approval, I read recently it’s as high as it’s ever been. I find that astonishing, but it is what it is. It really all does depend on the other 70-60 percent. I’m hoping 2018 was a sign of movement in the right direction. (Um,… or the left direction, as it were…)

And what do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: