I love dogs!
To be honest, I love most dogs more than I like most people. A dog in distress breaks my heart more than a person in distress (remember, I’m a bit of a misanthrope).
The thing is, dogs don’t understand like people do.
Dogs, famously, will lick the hand that hits them. (I couldn’t watch Lassie when I was a kid; I was always afraid something would happen to her!)
No other animal on Earth is as domesticated and as interactive with humans as dogs.
Cats co-exist and share our space, but remain just a bit aloof and feral. Fish are fun to look at, but they really suck at fetch. It’s even harder to walk them! Birds… I don’t get birds. I know some people really love them, but to me they’re feathered dinosaurs hiding in trees. Birds are food. Nor do I grok the fascination with spiders, snakes and lizards. Again, not so good at the fetching, not so good at the walking.
The way I like to think of it is that, ages ago, we brought dogs into the warmth and light of our home fires and forged a deal with them. For food, shelter and security they provide unconditional love, protection, companionship, assistance and endless, boundless joy.
To know joy, play with a puppy. To know total joy, play with a pack of puppies. There is almost no experience on earth that compares.
Here are some of my dog-related posts:
- Sad Day; Perfect Day — a great day with Samantha.
- Dog Tales: Games — memories of Sam.
- Dog Tales: Memories — more memories of Sam.
- Sam’s Final Walk — the disposition of Sam’s ashes.
- Sam’s Song — a little ditty for Samantha.
- Big Yawn! — nothing like a sleeping dog!
- Ow! — I got stung, but at least Bentley didn’t.
- OU812! — the time Bentley ate a dishtowel…
- Dog Gone Delightful! — dog-sitting Bentley.
- Four Days of the Dog — dog-sitting Rosie.
- Old Dogs Know Tricks — lastly, a joke.
Here are some pages (which are not original with me), that honor our furry friends:
- Rainbow Bridge
- The Best Place to Bury a Dog
- If you can…
- Learn From Dogs
- The Dog Rules
- Dog Complaints
And here are some pictures of some of the great dogs from my life: