These are a few of my favorite things:
- Laughing; I do it a lot!
- Dogs (especially Labs (especially Black Labs))
- True Friends and Gemütlichkeit
- Baseball and The Minnesota Twins
- Good Movies and TV Shows
- Science Fiction
- Detective Novels (especially Spenser)
- Computer Programming and Computer Science
- Quantum Physics and Cosmology
- Philosophy and Theory of Consciousness
- Micro-brewery Beer
- Intelligent, capable (attractive) women
You’ll notice the list isn’t numbered. The items are sort of ranked in order of importance or preference, but when you come right down to it each one brings joy. I’d fight long and hard before I’d give up a single one.
A key criteria for membership on this list is spending years being something I have loved. It requires an enduring presence in my life to make the Raves list. As such, this excludes favorites that are new or have been passing. For example, skydiving, pistol shooting and Doctor Who are absent. The first two were fun, but have passed into memory; the last one is a new member (but could be filed under Science Fiction).
Also, I’m horrible at ranking things. I’d be hard-pressed to tell you my favorite color, movie, TV show or book . Ranking is even harder with more serious topics, such as my favorite True Friend. Or Beer. So I usually stick with “Top 5” or “Top 10” lists. If I need to go larger: 20, 25 or even 100.
As time goes by, the list may change. Life is a process.